Definition of dab:
- A gentle blow with the hand or some soft substance; a sudden blow or hit; a peck.
- A name given to several species of flounders, esp. to the European species, Pleuronectes limanda. The American rough dab is Hippoglossoides platessoides.
- A skillful hand; a dabster; an expert.
- A small mass of anything soft or moist.
- To strike gently with the fingers or hand; to stroke lightly; to tap; as, to pat a dog.
- To strike or touch gently, as with a soft or moist substance; to tap; hence, to besmear with a dabber.
clock radio, bedaub, plaster, stir, a little, smother, swab, aerial, pat, cue card, sputtering, recover, splashing, detoxification, spattering, smudge, shine, barracuda, CRT, strike, camera, bloater, rub out, communications satellite, hint, bury, polish, tap, rinse, plash, bream, smirch, buff, splatter, coat, cod, crown, sweep, scrub, daub, taster, splutter, insulate, splash, brill, bass, rap, piece, spigot, wipe, cover, a bit, blanket, treatment, dollop, water faucet, water tap, spatter, put on, besmear, anchovy, purification, smear, sputter, brush, coelacanth, fragment, chuck, finish, fraction, scour, hydrant, splattering, antenna, wiretap, wrap, swob, top, sample, rub, dogfish, cathode ray tube, decoder.
- "The Adventures of Bobby Orde", Stewart Edward White.
- "The Man with a Shadow", George Manville Fenn.
This genius cooked the midday meals and the dinners; but, because no Frenchman can understand why any one should require for breakfast anything more solid than a dry roll and a dab of honey, the preparation of the morning meal was intrusted to a Southern black boy, who, I may say, was a regular skillet hound.- "Eating in Two or Three Languages", Irvin S. Cobb.