Definition of dabble :
1. To play in water, as with the hands; to paddle or splash in mud or water.
2. To wet by little dips or strokes; to spatter; to sprinkle; to moisten; to wet.
3. To work in slight or superficial manner; to do in a small way; to tamper; to meddle.
dip into, fiddle with, babble, flirt with, dally, scratch the surface, paddle, totter, blither, smatter, do something in a light manner, play around, amuse oneself with, be an amateur, putter, idle away time, splash around, larrup, toy with, tinker, waddle, blather, putter around, blether, dodder, coggle, make slight efforts, diddle, have sport with, toddle, spank, engage in superficially, fool around, fool with
- Nature does her work with bloody hands; birth, life, death, become a miserable dabble of blood and passion. - "Furze the Cruel", John Trevena.
- No, no- beneath thy multiplying load Of years thou canst not tarry on the road To dabble in the blood thy leaden feet Have pressed from bosoms that have ceased to beat Of reputations margining thy way, Nor wander from the path new truth to slay. - "Black Beetles in Amber", Ambrose Bierce.
- Why does Mr. Seward dabble in war and strategy at home? - "Diary from March 4, 1861, to November 12, 1862", Adam Gurowski.