Definition of dampening:
- de-motivating (part of speech: verb)
- dissuading (part of speech: verb)
- moistening (part of speech: verb)
- dejecting (part of speech: verb)
- "The Iron Woman", Margaret Deland.
- "Life on the Stage", Clara Morris.
Quixote- Tartarin had some twinges at whiles on thinking of Tarascon and the promises of lion- skins; but this remorse did not last, and to drive away such dampening ideas there sufficed one glance from Baya, or a spoonful of those diabolical dizzying and odoriferous sweetmeats like Circe's brews.- "Tartarin of Tarascon", Alphonse Daudet.