Definition of darkening:
elegiac, morose, somber, lugubrious, chill, solemn, lonesome, depressive, bleak, dire, murky, sunless, dark, cloudy, godforsaken, tenebrific, dismal, drear, saturnine, disconsolate, plutonian, desolate, funereal, gray, tenebrous, dreich, lonely, dreary, comfortless, cheerless, blackening, sepulchral, wretched, forlorn, black, Cimmerian, morbid, cold, depressing, glum, sullen, miserable.
- blackening (part of speech: verb)
- dimming (part of speech: verb)
- obscuring (part of speech: verb)
- darkening (part of speech: verb)
But that faithful and loving heart was already deaf to his voice, and the film grew darkening and rapidly over the eye which still with undying fondness sought him out through the shade and agony of death.- "The Disowned, Complete", Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
- "Laramie Holds the Range", Frank H. Spearman.
- "The Light of Scarthey", Egerton Castle.