Definition of deaden:
- To deprive of gloss or brilliancy; to obscure; as, to deaden gilding by a coat of size.
- To lessen the velocity or momentum of; to retard; as, to deaden a ship's headway.
- To make as dead; to impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation; to lessen the force or acuteness of; to blunt; as, to deaden the natural powers or feelings; to deaden a sound.
- To make vapid or spiritless; as, to deaden wine.
- To render impervious to sound, as a wall or floor; to deafen.
depress, gas, freeze, put to sleep, girdle, mute, knock out, tone down, stifle, tire, devitalize, animate, gird, repress, cushion, decrease, dope, lay out, break, exhaust, damp, revitalize, retard, slow, smother, frustrate, suppress, wash, awareness, dim, moisten, blunt, injure, increase, dampen.
- blunt (part of speech: verb)
- numb (part of speech: verb)
- quiet (part of speech: verb)
- disable (part of speech: verb)
- "Marion's Faith.", Charles King.
- "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- "The Gay Cockade", Temple Bailey.