Definition of debit :
1. A debt; an entry on the debtor ( Dr.) side of an account; - mostly used adjectively; as, the debit side of an account.
2. To charge with debt; - the opposite of, and correlative to, credit; as, to debit a purchaser for the goods sold.
3. To enter on the debtor ( Dr.) side of an account; as, to debit the amount of goods sold.
APR, downside, bank book, account, accounts collectible, credit, bill, BIPS, deposit, disbenefit, pay in, handicap, debit entry, close, minus, draw, negative, bank draft, due, drawback, bank rate, incommodity, bad debt, amount due, open, charge, balance, amount payable, home loan, bills, borrower, strike, bank statement, borrowings, banking, bank
debit (part of speech: verb)
lose (part of speech: verb)
loss (part of speech: noun)
dissipation, exhaustion, decrease, penalty, privation, expropriation, dispossession, erosion, setback, decrement, dissolution, forfeiture, ruin, deprivation, loss, shrinkage, depletion, attrition, divestiture
debt (part of speech: noun)
- All the entries were on the debit side. - "The Crooked House", Brandon Fleming.
- I need not try to take account of my soul, to make out the debit and credit; I know, without knowing how, that I must go; I am thrust out of myself by an impulse which rises from the very depths of my being, to which I am quite certain I have to yield." - "En Route", J.-K. (Joris-Karl) Huysmans.
- Robb saw the debit slip among the charges vouchers lying in the cash- book dish. - "A Canadian Bankclerk", J. P. Buschlen.