Definition of deceive:
- To beguile; to amuse, so as to divert the attention; to while away; to take away as if by deception.
- To deprive by fraud or stealth; to defraud.
- To lead into error; to cause to believe what is false, or disbelieve what is true; to impose upon; to mislead; to cheat; to disappoint; to delude; to insnare.
do up brown, make a monkey of, wander, stag, lead astray, impose upon, outwit, falsify accounts, double-cross, nick, burn, sell a gold brick to, fast-talk, butter up, cozen, beguile out of, beguile, bamboozle, gyp, string along, put on, bamboozle, hit below the belt, pull a quickie, lie, take for, tell on, get around, clip, buffalo, screw out of, beguile, fake out, give away, cuckold, denounce, play for a sucker, hoax, pass off, not play fair, sail under false colors, snooker, beat out of, shop, snitch, pull something, do in, grass, victimize, lie to, snow, flimflam, lead off, rope in, humbug, pack the deal, take in, higgle the market, misdirect, shit, gull, sell, palm off, dress up, beat, ensnare, put one over on, double-cross, murphy, sell out, have, play one false, euchre out of, give someone the run-around, skin, humbug, take advantage of, lead on, play upon, four-flush, bleed white, entrap, practice deceit, bewray, hustle, pull a fast one, take to the cleaners, gouge, betray, take in, cross up, drive to the wall, honest, jive, make a sucker out of, scam, hook, trip up, fail, rob, play false, put something over on, cheat on, shake down, fleece, delude, finagle, come over, misguide, chisel, circumvent, take for a ride, do out of, let in, rat, take for a ride.
- deceive (part of speech: verb)
- misteach (part of speech: verb)
- pretend (part of speech: verb)
- dupe (part of speech: verb)