Definition of deepen:
- To become deeper; as, the water deepens at every cast of the lead; the plot deepens.
- To make darker or more intense; to darken; as, the event deepened the prevailing gloom.
- To make deep or deeper; to increase the depth of; to sink lower; as, to deepen a well or a channel.
- To make more grave or low in tone; as, to deepen the tones of an organ.
- To make more poignant or affecting; to increase in degree; as, to deepen grief or sorrow.
modify, dash, course, beef, burst, degenerate, lighten, combine, pick up, deteriorate, grip, descend into, absorb, expand, exchange, aggravate, brighten, acquire, bleed, hollow, alter, bleach, intensify, deafen, dig, raise, spiral, retrain, consolidate, crest, surge, reverberate, confound, step up, mystify, shift, be (as) clear as mud, run, redouble, change, pulse, boost, dig out, learn, develop, decline, mellow, swell, grow, convert, ring, obscure, master, fade, baffle, amp, rise, cast up, go down, compound, slip into, switch, enhance, amplify, sweep over, come in, be beyond someone, train, strengthen, blacken, interchange, extend, channel, echo, heighten, complicate, catch, confuse, transfer, engulf, keep up, gray, vary, worsen, break, acquaint yourself with something, go off, color, come over, defy, commute.
- "Maggie Miller", Mary J. Holmes.
- "The History of Tasmania, Volume I (of 2)", John West.
Some missionaries have kept themselves within a limited sphere not far from their homes, visiting the same places again and again, obtaining a personal acquaintance with many of the people, and endeavouring to deepen any impressions which may have been made.- "Life and Work in Benares and Kumaon, 1839-1877", James Kennedy.