Definition of defeat:
- An overthrow, as of an army in battle; loss of a battle; repulse suffered; discomfiture; - opposed to victory.
- An undoing or annulling; destruction.
- Frustration by rendering null and void, or by prevention of success; as, the defeat of a plan or design.
- To overcome or vanquish, as an army; to check, disperse, or ruin by victory; to overthrow.
- To render null and void, as a title; to frustrate, as hope; to deprive, as of an estate.
- To resist with success; as, to defeat an assault.
- To undo; to disfigure; to destroy.
sweep over, dusting, whipping, bastinado, prevail against, castigate, shoot, chastise, disappointment, ruin, allow, loss, hiding, lick, tear, trim, smite, pommel, overtake, destruction, slaughter, vote out, butchery, shoot down, lacing, thrashing, reverse, fall, cross, frustration, setback, check, thwart, comedown, get the best, dud, breakthrough, trouncing, cudgel, bruise, thwarting, get the better of, debacle, whacking, bolt down, trimming, ambush, vanquishment, worst, obliterate, pop, whelm, kill, black eye, subjugate, batter, drubbing, Waterloo, upset, spank, foiling, withdrawal, repulse, toss off, surpass, get over, rebuff, ace, victory, walloping, extermination, belt down, turn thumbs down, switch, overcome, trap, scourge, pour down, belabor, success, frustrate, down, buck, stymie, annihilation, stamp out, wipe out, balk, blow, stalemate, land, thrash, have the best, flog, strike, charge, vote down, knockout, best, drink down, breakdown, baffle, stump, licking, massacre, conquest, count, pound, overwhelm.