Definition of deference:
- obedience (part of speech: noun)
compliance (part of speech: noun)
- respect (part of speech: noun)
- servility (part of speech: noun)
- subordination (part of speech: noun)
- "'Laramie;' or, The Queen of Bedlam.", Charles King.
There was a perceptible pause; doubtless of deference to her father on the part of the young girl, and of the usual native conscientious caution on the part of the father, but neither betrayed any embarrassment or emotion.- "The Bell-Ringer of Angel's and Other Stories", Bret Harte.
- "Masterman and Son", W. J. Dawson.