Definition of define :
1. To determine or clearly exhibit the boundaries of; to mark the limits of; as, to define the extent of a kingdom or country.
2. To determine the precise signification of; to fix the meaning of; to describe accurately; to explain; to expound or interpret; as, to define a word, a phrase, or a scientific term.
3. To determine with precision; to mark out with distinctness; to ascertain or exhibit clearly; as, the defining power of an optical instrument.
4. To determine; to decide.
5. To fix the bounds of; to bring to a termination; to end.
localize, plant, curb, mold, construe, posit, establish, pose, prescribe, girdle, encircle, deposit, pin down, circumscribe, furbish up, secure, set apart, regulate, pay off, typeset, specialise, entitle, condition, learn, fasten, ascertain, desexualize, localise, get, restrain, sterilize, decide, repair, trammel, limn, position, correct, enclose, desexualise, determine, gloss, settle, do, situate, set up, draw, compass, misunderstand, coiffure, translate, characterize, jell, lay, fix, narrow, make, fructify, flank, paraphrase, stipulate, sic, adjust, cook, see, trace, dub, put, delimitate, outline, restrict, ready, interpret, belt, bound, designate, spell out, edge, delimit, illustrate, restore, gear up, obscure, destine, particularize, narrow down, square off, touch on, clarify, doctor, find, envelop, find out, dress, confuse, shape, desex, peg down, unsex, qualify, watch, sterilise, denominate, bushel, go down, place, rim, exemplify, rig, influence, annotate, particularise, label, coiffe, represent, subtend, surround, border, throttle, prepare, make up one's mind, elucidate, fixate, assign, limit, confine, lay out, set, specify, encompass, distort, expound, nail down, misconstrue, congeal, mend, style, coif, square up, countersink, go under, arrange, name, check, delineate, gird, pay back, demarcate, line
mean (part of speech: verb)
specialize (part of speech: verb)
- It would be rather hard to define his reasons for the delay. - "Barren Honour: A Novel", George A. Lawrence.
- Something like a sum of thirteen millions of francs, of which it would be very difficult for you to define the precise nature of the employment. - "Louise de la Valliere", Alexandre Dumas, Pere.
- How would you define an American to- day? - "Story Hour Readings: Seventh Year", E.C. Hartwell.