Definition of definition:
- Act of ascertaining and explaining the signification; a description of a thing by its properties; an explanation of the meaning of a word or term; as, the definition of circle; the definition of wit; an exact definition; a loose definition.
- An exact enunciation of the constituents which make up the logical essence.
- Description; sort.
- Distinctness or clearness, as of an image formed by an optical instrument; precision in detail.
- The act of defining; determination of the limits; as, a telescope accurate in definition.
gloss, commentary, paraphrase, clue, cue, determination, circumscription, signification, distinctness, comment, sharpness, rendering, clarification, demarcation, absurdity, outline, analogue, rationale, confusion, exposition, rendition, translation, boundary, diagnosis, outlining, explication, key, elucidation, delineation, exemplification, synonym, annotation, representation, clarity, sense, nonsense.
Now it is well worthy of a serious and dispassionate examination, whether such a system, respecting such an object, be in reality agreeable to any sound principles of legislation or any authorized definition of law; for if our reasons or practices differ from the general informed sense of mankind, it is very moderate to say that they are at least suspicious.- "The Works of the Right Honourable Edmund Burke, Vol. VI. (of 12)", Edmund Burke.
The variation of curve due to different diameters of wheels or of rolling circles 12 Tracing the path of contact of tooth upon tooth in a pair of gear- wheels; definition of the " arc of approach;" definition of the " arc of recess;" demonstration that the flanks of the teeth on the driver or driving- wheel have contact with the faces of the driven wheel during the arc of approach, and with the flanks of the driven wheel during the arc of recess 13 Confining the action of the teeth to one side only of the line of centres, when motion rather than power is to be conveyed 13 Demonstration that the appearance or symmetry of a tooth has no significance with regard to its action 14 Finding how many teeth will be in constant action, the diameter of the wheels, the pitch of the teeth, and the diameter of the rolling circle being given 15 Example of the variation of tooth form due to variation of wheel diameter 15 Gear Teeth.- "Modern Machine-Shop Practice, Volumes I and II", Joshua Rose.
- "Our Knowledge of the External World as a Field for Scientific Method in Philosophy", Bertrand Russell.