Definition of defy:
- A challenge.
- To provoke to combat or strife; to call out to combat; to challenge; to dare; to brave; to set at defiance; to treat with contempt; as, to defy an enemy; to defy the power of a magistrate; to defy the arguments of an opponent; to defy public opinion.
- To renounce or dissolve all bonds of affiance, faith, or obligation with; to reject, refuse, or renounce.
go for, delay, stick up, hold up, sustain, turn down, refuse, request, arrest, take hold, agree, control, stand up, nurse, defend, decline, apply, flout, keep, bind, guard, harbor, give, deem, jib, presume, transgress, carry, front, break, take for, pass up, have, have got, curb, make bold, concord, oblige, last, hold water, balk, beard, violate, view as, hold back, concur, detain, confine, disobey, take, support, restrain, halt, survive, withstand, stand firm, declare, contain, obligate, entertain, reserve, throw, stand, accommodate, make, harbour, maintain, hold out, prevail, go, obtain, retain, dare, live on, hold, adjudge, moderate, fend, live, keep back, book, turn away, endure, deny, bear, baulk, admit, hold in.
- counteract (part of speech: verb)
- defy (part of speech: verb)
- confront (part of speech: verb)
- disagree (part of speech: verb)
- resist (part of speech: verb)
- oppose (part of speech: verb)