Definition of denomination:
- A class, or society of individuals, called by the same name; a sect; as, a denomination of Christians.
- That by which anything is denominated or styled; an epithet; a name, designation, or title; especially, a general name indicating a class of like individuals; a category; as, the denomination of units, or of thousands, or of fourths, or of shillings, or of tons.
- The act of naming or designating.
animism, moniker, compellation, coreligionist, appointment, identification, nomenclature, cult, words, coin, brethren, bill, value, bucks, bread, title, naming, Baha'i, assignment, sect, communion, religion, specific, name, church, appellation, denotation, agnomen, tag, change, brother, banknote, handle, confession, coinage, cash, congregation, epithet, belief, faith, copper, appellative, prenomen, cognomen, surname, creed, nickname, designation, ascetic, cleric, group.
category (part of speech: noun)
- "Janice Day", Helen Beecher Long.
On September 23, 1862, the amount of Treasury notes under the denomination of five dollars was increased from five million to ten million dollars, and a further issue of bonds or certificates of stock, to the amount of fifty million dollars, was authorized.- "The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government, Vol. 1 (of 2)", Jefferson Davis.
- "Isaac T. Hopper", L. Maria Child.