Definition of department:
- A distinct course of life, action, study, or the like; appointed sphere or walk; province.
- A military subdivision of a country; as, the of the Potomac.
- A part, portion, or subdivision.
- A territorial division; a district; esp., in France, one of the districts composed of several arrondissements into which the country is divided for governmental purposes; as, the of the Loire.
- Subdivision of business or official duty; especially, one of the principal divisions of executive government; as, the treasury department; the war department; also, in a university, one of the divisions of instruction; as, the medical department; the department of physics.
job, activity, realm, field, commune, terrain, quarter, precinct, division, authority, subject, part, agency, assignment, occupation, niche, bailiwick, berth, function, circuit, administration, station, specialty, vocation, domain, force, wing, province, subdivision, section, discussion section, corps, plane section, avocation, business, commission, territory, bag, range, branch, surgical incision, committee, parish, office, dominion, circle, scene, interest, orbit, ward, beat, world, tract, incumbency, segment, unit, bureau, sphere, capacity, district, constituency, area, arena, jurisdiction, spot, board, incision, arm, organ, staff, duty.
- "The Dragon's Secret", Augusta Huiell Seaman.
- "The English Constitution", Walter Bagehot.
- "The Gospel of the Hereafter", J. Paterson-Smyth.