Definition of depend:
- To hang down; to be sustained by being fastened or attached to something above.
- To hang in suspense; to be pending; to be undetermined or undecided; as, a cause depending in court.
- To impend.
- To rely for support; to be conditioned or contingent; to be connected with anything, as a cause of existence, or as a necessary condition; - followed by on or upon, formerly by of.
- To serve; to attend; to act as a dependent or retainer.
- To trust; to rest with confidence; to rely; to confide; to be certain; - with on or upon; as, we depend on the word or assurance of our friends; we depend on the mail at the usual hour.
matter, bet, search, aim, figure on, face, ride, look for, hinge, look, front, lean, guess, await, reckon, opine, figure, regard, bank on, see, count on, compute, calculate, forecast, weigh, cipher, turn on, think, surprise, attend, take care, believe in, appear, rest on, direct, enumerate, expect, suppose, count, seem, work out, play, estimate, wait, hang, suspend, cypher, rely, imagine, bargain for, sling, numerate, swing, rely on, view, number, reckon on, hinge on, dangle, wager, account, consider, turn, trust, anticipate, start, hang on.
- "The-Burgess-Animal-Book-for-Children", Burgess, Thornton W. (Thornton Waldo).
- "Julian Home", Dean Frederic W. Farrar.
- "Castle Craneycrow", George Barr McCutcheon.