Definition of dependency:
- A territory remote from the kingdom or state to which it belongs, but subject to its dominion; a colony; as, Great Britain has its dependencies in Asia, Africa, and America.
- A thing hanging down; a dependence.
- State of being dependent; dependence; state of being subordinate; subordination; concatenation; connection; reliance; trust.
- That which is attached to something else as its consequence, subordinate, satellite, and the like.
As long ago as 1818, in the case of Canada, we discarded as vicious the old doctrine that a dependency ought not to be allowed to provide for the whole cost of government out of its own taxes, for fear that its Legislature would control policy.- "The Framework of Home Rule", Erskine Childers.
- "How to Speak and Write Correctly", Joseph Devlin.
- "Complete State of the Union Addresses from 1790 to the Present", Various.