Definition of depression:
- A falling in of the surface; a sinking below its true place; a cavity or hollow; as, roughness consists in little protuberances and depressions.
- A method of operating for cataract; couching. See Couch, v. t., 8.
- Dejection; despondency; lowness.
- Diminution, as of trade, etc.; inactivity; dullness.
- Humiliation; abasement, as of pride.
- The act of depressing.
- The angular distance of a celestial object below the horizon.
- The operation of reducing to a lower degree; - said of equations.
- The state of being depressed; a sinking.
slump, decrement, dolefulness, wretchedness, front, unemployment, despond, natural depression, mope, bipolar disorder, diminishment, recess, imprint, claustrophobia, drop, consumer confidence, malaise, crack-up, dip, picture, impression, distress, atmospheric pressure, first, Asperger's syndrome, air pressure, doldrums, gloom, buoyancy, depletion, falling off, the Depression, feeling, trouble, hole, falloff, mopes, crisis, unhappiness, isobar, abatement, heartsickness, indent, sinkhole, decline, disconsolateness, rich, crash, remorse, heavy-heartedness, boom and bust, depressive disorder, print, mortification, regret, inflation, mental picture, funk, bust, recession, capitalist, autism, sorrowfulness, delusion, cold front, dumps, despondence, hypochondria, sorrow, anticyclone, drop-off, panic, vapors, dementia, slowdown, darkness, dysphoria, low, economic crisis, prosperity, effect, blue devils, loss, low pressure, reduction, low gear, dent, basin, dint, indenture, feelings, first gear, step-down, shrinkage, stamp, track, melancholia, cavity, convex, sag, notion, the Gulf Stream, belief, worry, dullness, slack, oppression, fall, breakdown, disappointment, credit crunch, opinion, agronomics, sink, the Great Depression, miserableness, happy, overproduction, footprint, frontal, pit, austerity, grief, combat fatigue, desolation, clinical depression, bankruptcy, boom, deflation, agoraphobia, elation, retrenchment, printing, joy, hollow, embossment.
dejection (part of speech: noun)
- concavity (part of speech: noun)
- depression (part of speech: noun)
- hopelessness (part of speech: noun)
- weariness (part of speech: noun)
- "The History of the Fabian Society", Edward R. Pease.
- "The White Peacock", D. H. (David Herbert) Lawrence.
- "The Eagle Cliff", R.M. Ballantyne.