Definition of descent:
- A passing from a higher to a lower tone.
- A step or remove downward in any scale of gradation; a degree in the scale of genealogy; a generation.
- Derivation, as from an ancestor; procedure by generation; lineage; birth; extraction.
- Inclination downward; a descending way; inclined or sloping surface; declivity; slope; as, a steep descent.
- Incursion; sudden attack; especially, hostile invasion from sea; - often followed by upon or on; as, to make a descent upon the enemy.
- Lowest place; extreme downward place.
- Progress downward, as in station, virtue, as in station, virtue, and the like, from a higher to a lower state, from a higher to a lower state, from the more to the less important, from the better to the worse, etc.
- That which is descended; descendants; issue.
- The act of descending, or passing downward; change of place from higher to lower.
- Transmission of an estate by inheritance, usually, but not necessarily, in the descending line; title to inherit an estate by reason of consanguinity.
alliance, downturn, precipitation, occupation, parenthood, crepuscle, relationship, line of reasoning, declivity, dividing line, rail line, seam, contrast, wrinkle, farm animal, spill, billet, capitulation, root, worsening, neckcloth, crinkle, downgrade, kind, lapse, gunstock, phone line, line of business, downslide, demarcation, debasement, assembly line, note, inception, beginning, downfall, melody, job, landslide, communication channel, bank line, free fall, seed, twilight, downslope, ancestry, pin, store, surrender, affinity, melodic line, line of merchandise, crepuscule, inventory, caudex, bloodline, autumn, dip, blood, line of descent, gloam, evenfall, crease, increase, production line, livestock, deterioration, fall, business line, extraction, assault, declension, melodic phrase, rootage, birth, tumble, origin, pipeline, inclination, dusk, swoop, nightfall, kindred, telephone line, skid, family, railway line, drop-off, slump, declination, consanguinity, furrow, pedigree, simple eye, transmission line, pitch, blood line, tune, line, roue, nosedive, gillyflower, kin, stemma, channel, source, air, rake, advance, profligate, product line, broth, personal line of credit, rakehell, subscriber line, dive, personal credit line, cable, sinking, droop, precede, rip, decay, diminution, decline, stock certificate, line of credit, linage, agate line, telephone circuit, argument, parentage, attack, ocellus, celestial latitude, lineage, line of work, credit line, line of products, regrets, falling, fund, gloaming, down, strain, incursion, cadence, abasement, downtrend, origination, dec, derivation, decline in quality, short letter, course, downswing, reduction, rise, logical argument, filiation, business, degradation, argumentation, stock.
- "Himalayan Journals V2.", J. D. Hooker.
- "Marjorie Dean, High School Junior", Pauline Lester.
- "The Return of Tarzan", Edgar Rice Burroughs.