Definition of describe :
1. To distribute into parts, groups, or classes; to mark off; to class.
2. To represent by drawing; to draw a plan of; to delineate; to trace or mark out; as, to describe a circle by the compasses; a torch waved about the head in such a way as to describe a circle.
3. To represent by words written or spoken; to give an account of; to make known to others by words or signs; as, the geographer describes countries and cities.
4. To use the faculty of describing; to give a description; as, Milton describes with uncommon force and beauty.
list, hear, place, discover, happen upon, cast, pull in, let on, nominate, bring up, mention, let out, detect, run along, picture, set out, bring out, outline, draw off, diagnose, sort, grade, find, take up, suck up, delimitate, pull, bend, pull back, draw in, give an account of, pass, come across, secernate, soak up, term, get wind, straighten, pin down, words, find out, withdraw, get, strike, signalize, take in, get out, label, form, come upon, see, group, recognise, curl, calculate, make out, shape, chance on, chance upon, appoint, elucidate, guide, tell of, sop up, detail, reshape, string, image, profile, tie, decipher, disclose, work, expose, limn, identify, discern, light upon, answer for, learn, recite, notice, pick up, thread, class, reap, depict, cover, open up, convey a verbal image of, sketch, pick out, advert, name, constitute, specify, make clear, get word, draw, render, give the dope on, paint, spot, follow, exemplify, eviscerate, illustrate, represent, delineate, hunt, give the details of, separate, deform, distinguish, disembowel, make, make sense of, attain, imbibe, divulge, severalise, show, cite, secern, pull out, fall upon, retrace, catch, particularize, break, key, draw and quarter, quarter, observe, call, severalize, recognize, key out, mark, give away, attract, puff, express, epitomize, illuminate, line, reveal, drag, rank, get a line, bracket, make vivid, twist, represent in words, delimit, set forth, categorize, take out, characterize, hound, tell apart, relate, differentiate, classify, rehearse, unwrap, character, refer, signalise, trace, suck, write up, chart, run, force, absorb
account (part of speech: verb)
report (part of speech: verb)
mean (part of speech: verb)
- I will describe what is left. - "Vanishing England", P. H. Ditchfield.
- " It was in such a strange place that I cannot describe it. - "The Coming of the King", James Hocking.
- For I am sure that none of you know him; but I know him and will describe him, as I have begun. - "The Best of the World's Classics, Restricted to prose. Volume I (of X) - Greece", Various.