Definition of desist:
come to an end, conclude, check, finish, drop, give over, bring to an end, knock off, leave off, call it quits, throw in the towel, pack, cut out, call it a day, shut off, forbear, lay off, cut off, abstain, break off, continue, have done with, swear off, refrain, break up, intermit, can.
- cease (part of speech: verb)
- give up (part of speech: verb)
stop (part of speech: verb)
- study at stop
- ceases (part of speech: verb)
He had one free hand, with which, when he found that other exertions did not avail, he tried to dig himself out; but the more he dug, the more the great pile of adobe above him slid down on his face, till he was in such imminent danger of being smothered that he was forced to desist.- "Out of the Triangle", Mary E. Bamford.
- "Eskimo Folktales", Unknown.
- "The Little Dog Trusty; The Orange Man; and the Cherry Orchard; Being the Tenth Part of Early Lessons (1801)", Maria Edgeworth.