Definition of destructive:
- Causing destruction; tending to bring about ruin, death, or devastation; ruinous; fatal; productive of serious evil; mischievous; pernicious; -- often with of or to; as, intemperance is destructive of health; evil examples are destructive to the morals of youth.
- One who destroys; a radical reformer; a destructionist.
risky, annihilating, mischievous, ruinous, negative, obliterating, corrosive, noisome, perverting, fatal, damaging, dangerous, annihilative, noxious, hazardous, adverse, pernicious, fateful, unfavorable, vitriolic, blasting, soul-destroying, insalubrious, unsafe, pestilential, pestiferous, unhealthful, perilous, crushing, hurtful, devastating, wasteful, withering, ravaging, obscurant, cataclysmal, caustic, cataclysmic, annihilatory, unwholesome, damning, poisonous, erosive, help, devastative, unfortunate.
- destroying (part of speech: verb)
- evil (part of speech: adjective)
- destructive (part of speech: adjective)
On account of the first- named advantage, they are largely employed upon small gears, having their teeth cut true in a gear- cutting machine; while on account of the second advantage, interchangeable wheels, which are merely required to transmit motion, may be put in gear without a fine adjustment of the pitch circle, in which case the wear of the teeth will not prove destructive to the curves of the teeth.- "Modern Machine-Shop Practice, Volumes I and II", Joshua Rose.
- "Samantha at the World's Fair", Marietta Holley.
- "The Sources Of Religious Insight", Josiah Royce.