Definition of determine :
1. To ascertain definitely; to find out the specific character or name of; to assign to its true place in a system; as, to determine an unknown or a newly discovered plant or its name.
2. To ascertain the presence, quantity, or amount of; as, to determine the parallax; to determine the salt in sea water.
3. To bring to a conclusion, as a question or controversy; to settle authoritative or judicial sentence; to decide; as, the court has determined the cause.
4. To come to a decision; to decide; to resolve; - often with on.
5. To come to an end; to end; to terminate.
6. To define or limit by adding a differentia.
7. To fix the boundaries of; to mark off and separate.
8. To fix the course of; to impel and direct; - with a remoter object preceded by to; as, another's will determined me to this course.
9. To fix the form or character of; to shape; to prescribe imperatively; to regulate; to settle.
10. To resolve on; to have a fixed intention of; also, to cause to come to a conclusion or decision; to lead; as, this determined him to go immediately.
11. To set bounds to; to fix the determination of; to limit; to bound; to bring to an end; to finish.
congeal, fix, look, specialise, catch, order, run into, act upon, hold, get a line, check out, construe, reconcile, break, go steady, gibe, understand, envision, get hold, mark, unsex, crack, get wind, check over, posit, bound, hold in, doctor, take root, pick up, restrict, experience, position, correct, manage, locate, finalize, situate, cook, plant, insure, trammel, cast, set apart, steady down, watch, read, make up one's mind, incur, chequer, visit, tick, specialize, view, ready, do, mark off, lay out, find oneself, make, come up, delay, see to it, meet, moderate, feel, image, coiffure, adjust, delineate, look on, limit, check up on, visualise, look into, root, demarcate, interpret, arrest, patch up, examine, finalise, desex, fall, mildew, settle down, get back, invent, coiffe, happen, chance, mould, date, govern, prepare, even up, confine, jell, receive, pay off, watch over, visualize, jog, bump, sic, take in, destine, put, conciliate, fit, regularize, intend, narrow, escort, secure, model, get word, suss out, memorize, condition, get, jibe, learn, devise, sink, bushel, desexualise, descend, peg down, baffle, dress, shape, hear, notice, look out, sterilize, checker, particularise, fixate, correspond, ensure, arrange, go out, law, realise, square off, repair, assign, circumscribe, retard, regain, go through, memorise, subside, turn back, retrieve, make up, restrain, regard, acquire, project, square, command, take, stipulate, delimitate, restore, encounter, pin down, run across, gear up, touch on, define, see, mold, coif, throttle, agree, furbish up, mend, instruct, obtain, contain, discipline, specify, limited, hold back, particularize, localise, narrow down, sterilise, umpire, teach, nail down, go over, modulate, follow, fasten, watch out, settle, tempt, qualify, deposit, stop, work, curb, attend, desexualize, picture, pose, regularise, form, con, place, check off, fructify, line up, take care, control, train, typeset, set up, square up, charm, rig, countersink, influence, check into, larn, forge, match, tick off, adjudge, lay, go under, delimit, decree, pay back, localize, set, come across, designate, go down, catch out, recover, ensconce, keep an eye on, regulate
evince (part of speech: verb)
betoken, establish, document, exemplify, demonstrate, state, corroborate, exhibit, evince, manifest, support, connote, vouch, prove, adduce, indicate, certify, witness, observe, confirm, avouch, attest, substantiate, testify, illustrate, validate, declare, authenticate, depose
choose (part of speech: verb)
experiment (part of speech: verb)
judge (part of speech: verb)
calculate (part of speech: verb)
systematize, gauge, calculate, reckon, quantize, rank, plan, compute, count, think, presume, sum, guess, conclude, suppose, value, consider, total, weigh, scheme, infer, schedule, assess, tally, divide, deduce, evaluate, surmise, plot, approximate, program, score, study, rationalize, rate, judge, multiply, measure, account, figure, add, enumerate, quantify, triangulate, appraise, estimate
discover (part of speech: verb)
ascertain (part of speech: verb)
- They can readily determine whether all of the seeds grow. - "Ontario Teachers' Manuals: Nature Study", Ontario Ministry of Education.
- Indeed, you tell me that you have; you say that if I knew them they would determine me. - "Jane Talbot", Charles Brockden Brown.
- Temperament and circumstances will determine in which of these directions the student will turn. - "The Economic Aspect of Geology", C. K. Leith.