Definition of device:
- A spectacle or show.
- An emblematic design, generally consisting of one or more figures with a motto, used apart from heraldic bearings to denote the historical situation, the ambition, or the desire of the person adopting it. See Cognizance.
- Anything fancifully conceived.
- Improperly, an heraldic bearing.
- Opinion; decision.
- Power of devising; invention; contrivance.
- That which is devised, or formed by design; a contrivance; an invention; a project; a scheme; often, a scheme to deceive; a stratagem; an artifice.
design, motive, mechanism, whatsis, symbol, cheat, braid, thingummy, means, guile, outfit, gimmick, racket, motif, blind, shenanigan, thingumabob, sign, thingmajig, discovery, gear, doohickey, wile, agent, kink, arrangement, thingamajig, rigging, proposition, thingmabob, eddy, thingumajig, cunning, article, doojigger, scheme, stopgap, turn of events, sleight, jig, fake, wrench, invention, medium, turn, whatchamacallum, plait, spin, wind, wherewithal, bend, whatchamacallit, expedient, makeshift, tackle, slogan, project, pull, whatnot, winding, auxiliary, material, emblem, craft, finesse, method, craftiness, twirl, brainchild, thing, gubbins, chicanery, loophole, twist, joker, accessory, plan, crook, gismo, thingamabob, twisting, part, tress, honest, construction, cabal, pattern, catch, take-in, figure, art, make, evasion, harness, whirl.
- instrument (part of speech: noun)
- stratagem (part of speech: noun)
- pretension (part of speech: noun)
- "Some Principles of Maritime Strategy", Julian Stafford Corbett.
- "The Glory of Ippling", Helen M. Urban.
- "The Lay of the Cid", R. Selden Rose and Leonard Bacon.