Definition of devout:
- A devotee.
- A devotional composition, or part of a composition; devotion.
- Devoted to religion or to religious feelings and duties; absorbed in religious exercises; given to devotion; pious; reverent; religious.
- Expressing devotion or piety; as, eyes devout; sighs devout; a devout posture.
- Warmly devoted; hearty; sincere; earnest; as, devout wishes for one's welfare.
pricey, beloved, dear, study at religious, sincere, religious, darling, pious, devotional, costly, businesslike, pricy, pietistical, near, religion, god-fearing, pietistic, saintly, good, high-priced, earnest, heartfelt.
Messer Guido despised Simone dei Bardi, thinking him, what indeed he was, a vulgar fellow, and making no concealment of his thought, and what Messer Guido thought counted in Florence in those days, for he came of a great race and was himself a very free- hearted and noble gentleman, against whom no man had anything to say save this, that it was whispered that he did not believe as a devout man should believe.- "The God of Love", Justin Huntly McCarthy.
- "Imaginary Interviews", W. D. Howells.
- "Humanly Speaking", Samuel McChord Crothers.