Definition of dial:
- A miner's compass.
- An instrument, formerly much used for showing the time of day from the shadow of a style or gnomon on a graduated arc or surface; esp., a sundial; but there are lunar and astral dials. The style or gnomon is usually parallel to the earth's axis, but the dial plate may be either horizontal or vertical.
- The graduated face of a timepiece, on which the time of day is shown by pointers or hands.
- To measure with a dial.
- To survey with a dial.
- "The Circuit Riders", R. C. FitzPatrick.
- "Invaders from the Infinite", John Wood Campbell.
- "O. Henry Memorial Award Prize Stories of 1921", Various.