Definition of dial :
1. A miner's compass.
2. An instrument, formerly much used for showing the time of day from the shadow of a style or gnomon on a graduated arc or surface; esp., a sundial; but there are lunar and astral dials. The style or gnomon is usually parallel to the earth's axis, but the dial plate may be either horizontal or vertical.
3. The graduated face of a timepiece, on which the time of day is shown by pointers or hands.
4. To measure with a dial.
5. To survey with a dial.
gauge (part of speech: noun)
- This time the dial registered eighty- two. - "The Circuit Riders", R. C. FitzPatrick.
- Then he started slowly turning the fourth dial. - "Invaders from the Infinite", John Wood Campbell.
- He wore a watch with luminous dial on his left wrist, and he managed to get it before his eyes. - "O. Henry Memorial Award Prize Stories of 1921", Various.