Definition of diaphragm:
- A calcareous plate which divides the cavity of certain shells into two parts.
- A dividing membrane or thin partition, commonly with an opening through it.
- A partition in any compartment, for various purposes.
- A plate with an opening, which is generally circular, used in instruments to cut off marginal portions of a beam of light, as at the focus of a telescope.
- The muscular and tendinous partition separating the cavity of the chest from that of the abdomen; the midriff.
stoppage, plosive speech sound, block, barrier method, birth control, stay, plosive, condom, bronchus, airway, abortion, coil, full point, catch, beeper, button, calling card, plosive consonant, contraception, artificial respiration, stop consonant, bad breath, layover, bronchiole, contraceptive, card, stopover, breath, period, occlusion, halt, breathing, stop, cell, check, 3G, midsection, closure, blockage, blow, middle, bronchial tube, cameraphone, bleeper, abortionist, abortionist, answering machine, occlusive, hitch, full stop, arrest, midriff, contraceptive diaphragm, point, 4G, pessary, asphyxia.
I thereupon made a film of composition, as thin as possible, and stretched it upon the frame of my instrument, as a diaphragm behind the wires, hoping that the sound- waves would pass between the wires, and vibrate the diaphragm, which, being made of composition, would undoubtedly glow, but not more than the film had done.- "Zarlah the Martian", R. Norman Grisewood.
- "Physiology and Hygiene for Secondary Schools", Francis M. Walters, A.M..
- "The Dollar Hen", Milo M. Hastings.