Definition of dictate:
- A statement delivered with authority; an order; a command; an authoritative rule, principle, or maxim; a prescription; as, listen to the dictates of your conscience; the dictates of the gospel.
- To compose literary works; to tell what shall be written or said by another.
- To say; to utter; to communicate authoritatively; to deliver ( a command) to a subordinate; to declare with authority; to impose; as, to dictate the terms of a treaty; a general dictates orders to his troops.
- To speak as a superior; to command; to impose conditions ( on).
- To tell or utter so that another may write down; to inspire; to compose; as, to dictate a letter to an amanuensis.
lay down, set up, ordain, decree, speak, talk, emit, ordinate, range, boss, give forth, plead, tell, place, fix, rule, put, dominate, tyrannize, follow, order, direct, grade, over, rate, rank, regulate, impose, formulate, govern, interview, manage, petition, command, verbalize, prescribe, deliver, compose, arrange, say, consecrate, regularise, record, domineer, enjoin, regularize.