Definition of discourage:
- Lack of courage; cowardliness.
- To dishearten one with respect to; to discountenance; to seek to check by disfavoring; to deter one from; as, they discouraged his efforts.
- To extinguish the courage of; to dishearten; to depress the spirits of; to deprive of confidence; to deject; - the opposite of encourage; as, he was discouraged in his undertaking; he need not be discouraged from a like attempt.
dismay, reprove, frighten, cheer, confuse, obstruct, facilitate, alarm, quiet, caution, persuasion, deter, cast down, keep back, warn, turn aside, beat down, prostrate, hold back, admonish, repress, monish, expedite, cow, withhold, demoralize, dispirit, damp, hold off, deject, control, bully, scare, help, unnerve, encourage.
- de-motivate (part of speech: verb)
- dissuade (part of speech: verb)
- disappoint (part of speech: verb)
- "Molly Brown's Orchard Home", Nell Speed.
- "Famous Stories Every Child Should Know", Various.
- "The Plow-Woman", Eleanor Gates.