Definition of dismiss:
- To discard; to remove or discharge from office, service, or employment; as, the king dismisses his ministers; the matter dismisses his servant.
- To lay aside or reject as unworthy of attentions or regard, as a petition or motion in court.
- To send away; to give leave of departure; to cause or permit to go; to put away.
leave out, fade out, sink, pretermit, exclude, recall, recess, give up, cast out, cast off, cashier, arouse, advance, hire, send away, rout out, deteriorate, dethrone, shut out, brush off, put down, squeeze out, ban, evict, resolve, plunder, net, fling, ostracize, exile, terminate, break up, force out, evoke, send word, detach, discount, outlaw, unfreeze, degenerate, swing, turn out, fire, unseat, sack, ignore, employ, raise, run out, bust, chuck, cast away, pink-slip, impeach, disband, send packing, drop down, preempt, move, push away, finish, dispatch, end, rouse, advise, expatriate, gouge, brush aside, toss out, excommunicate, kick out, depose, usher out, chuck out, dangle, remove, cast aside, neglect, suspend, kindle, open fire, knock off, crowd out, cut, dispense with, nix, fuel, send, dispossess, thaw, unload, give notice, retain, repel, disperse, dispose of, provoke, cast, strike down, fade away, expend, disregard, supersede, flatten, accept, chase, push aside, devolve, boot, omit, spend, give the axe, elicit, toss away, bump, drop off, replace, throw away, give the gate, melt, skip, eject, deport, cease, tin, boot out, apprise, ax, throw out, sack up, shake off, cut down, throw off, unthaw, burn, fell, let out, apprize, set aside, adjourn, disqualify, throw, enkindle, give the sack, bounce, get rid of, miss, turn down, blackball, banish, burn down, dribble, oust, expel, stop, lay off, dislodge, snub, notify, keep, bundle, toss, put away, rout, dethaw, overleap, put up, can, go off, give over, drip, spurn, give the bounce, do without, drive out, boycott, displace, set down, drum out, squirt.
- dismiss (part of speech: verb)
- refuse (part of speech: verb)
- forgive (part of speech: verb)
- liberate (part of speech: verb)
- rid (part of speech: verb)
- acquit (part of speech: verb)
- annul (part of speech: verb)
- vindicate (part of speech: verb)
- "The Captives", Hugh Walpole.
- "The Cow Puncher", Robert J. C. Stead.
- "Checkmate", Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.