Definition of disputation :
1. A rhetorical exercise in which parties reason in opposition to each other on some question proposed.
2. The act of disputing; a reasoning or argumentation in opposition to something, or on opposite sides; controversy in words; verbal contest respecting the truth of some fact, opinion, proposition, or argument.
list, sway, lean, dispute, line, rivalry, competition, argument, joust, words, argumentation, parameter, disceptation, inclination, affirm, debate, literary argument, Forensics, statement, contestation, logical argument, controversy, rock, careen, line of reasoning, leaning, public debate, tilt, contention, arguing, discussion
- The disputation might now begin. - "Berlin and Sans-Souci", Louise Muhlbach.
- The bishop now condescended to end this disputation by saying emphatically, " Consider, young savage, that in battle neither the infant, the aged, the sick, nor infirm are involved, but only those in the full prime of health and vigour." - "Nature and Art", Mrs. Inchbald.
- In a remote and general way he deplores the vain talk and disputation which go hand in hand with a relaxation of the practical Christian virtues. - "The Making of the New Testament", Benjamin W. Bacon.