Definition of distance:
- A space marked out in the last part of a race course.
- A withholding of intimacy; alienation; coldness; disagreement; variance; restraint; reserve.
- Ideal disjunction; discrepancy; contrariety.
- Length or interval of time; period, past or future, between two eras or events.
- Relative space, between troops in ranks, measured from front to rear; - contrasted with interval, which is measured from right to left.
- Remoteness in succession or relation; as, the distance between a descendant and his ancestor.
- Remoteness of place; a remote place.
- Space between two antagonists in fencing.
- The interval between two notes; as, the distance of a fourth or seventh.
- The part of a picture which contains the representation of those objects which are the farthest away, esp. in a landscape.
- The remoteness or reserve which respect requires; hence, respect; ceremoniousness.
- The space between two objects; the length of a line, especially the shortest line joining two points or things that are separate; measure of separation in place.
- To cause to appear as if at a distance; to make seem remote.
- To outstrip by as much as a distance ( see Distance, n., 3); to leave far behind; to surpass greatly.
- To place at a distance or remotely.
direction, outer space, aloofness, remove, surroundings, variety, difference, severity, distinctiveness, a giant step/leap/stride, extent, disjunction, horizon, stretch, fathom, unlikeness, league, distinction, disapprove, disparity, variation, distinctness, divergence, outskirts, propinquity, dissimilarity, break, reserve, have a problem with something, maturation, history, gap, otherness, elbow room, concern, outdistance, hand, advancement, blank space, span, through, headroom, mileage, infinity, standoffishness, athlete, piece, era, sheet, outperform, space, surmount, near, length, stiffness, disagreement, momentum, restraint, air pocket, outmatch, indifference, clearance, range, spread, country, take a dim/poor view of, spacing, caber, way, inch, big, outpost, quad, development, discus, outdo, field, ell, a world of difference, waste, chapter, oppose, sky, disparateness, withdrawnness, duration, day, cross-country, rod, discrepancy, closeness, blank, interval, decathlon, not look kindly on/upon, contrast, progress, reach, antipodes, expansion, mile, outgo, outstrip, frigidity, detachment, delay, disagree with, lead, event, neighborhood, meter, dissociation, the march of something, include, surpass, foot, date, demur, exceed, handiness, expanse, ways, dissimilitude, infinite, place, objective, sweep, the broad jump, athletics, measure, hauteur, complete, proximity, epoch, abruptness, athletic, bring to an end, frown on, diversity, not hold with something, countdown, diverseness, contradiction, block, attitude, hostility, the knives are out, collision, plain, footprint, advance, breadth, put some distance between, coolness, nearness, background, yard.
- "Muslin", George Moore.
- "The Law-Breakers", Ridgwell Cullum.
- "Non-combatants and Others", Rose Macaulay.