Definition of distill:
- To dissolve or melt.
- To drop; to fall in drops; to trickle.
- To flow gently, or in a small stream.
- To let fall or send down in drops.
- To obtain by distillation; to extract by distillation, as spirits, essential oil, etc.; to rectify; as, to distill brandy from wine; to distill alcoholic spirits from grain; to distill essential oils from flowers, etc.; to distill fresh water from sea water.
- To practice the art of distillation.
- To subject to distillation; as, to distill molasses in making rum; to distill barley, rye, corn, etc.
pull out, steam, concentrate, boil down, compress, excerpt, volatilize, derive, purge, press out, draw out, weep, condense, subtilize, extract, contract, purify, pull up, pull, digest, abstract, educe, elicit, distil, drop, sanctify, evoke, drip, express, rise, press, refine, trickle, infuse, take out, make pure, rarefy, precipitate, dribble, sublime.
Those more optimistically inclined look upon the brighter side of things and distill consolation from the thought that nothing is so bad but what it might have been worse- Trotzky might have been born twins.- "One Third Off", Irvin S. Cobb.
- "The Planet Strappers", Raymond Zinke Gallun.
- "The Year When Stardust Fell", Raymond F. Jones.