Definition of distinction :
1. A marking off by visible signs; separation into parts; division.
2. Conspicuous station; eminence; superiority; honorable estimation; as, a man of distinction.
3. Estimation of difference; regard to differences or distinguishing circumstance.
4. That which distinguishes one thing from another; distinguishing quality; sharply defined difference; as, the distinction between real and apparent good.
5. The act of distinguishing or denoting the differences between objects, or the qualities by which one is known from others; exercise of discernment; discrimination.
tone, acuteness, indifference, greenback, superiority, repute, property, sign, note of hand, tubercle, government note, qualification, billet, knowledge, banknote, perception, laurel, note, trait, indication, specialisation, clearness, honor, trace, divarication, sensitivity, luster, short letter, prominency, bank bill, definition, penetration, virtue, promissory note, sharpness, discreteness, detail, excellence, beauty, dullness, glory, characteristic, particular, peculiarity, diagnosis, acumen, bank note, divergency, bill, merit, tact, style, refinement, good, notation, line, mark, banker's bill, judgment, analysis, eminence, prestige, nicety, feature, important, discretion, discrepance, annotation, accolade, same, kudos, attribute, character, singularity, musical note, perfection, quality, flair, eminency, respect, estimation, specialization, tuberosity
discrimination (part of speech: noun)
difference (part of speech: noun)
contrast, dissemblance, disunity, asymmetry, discrepancy, variety, inequality, clash, abnormality, distinctness, variation, conflict, counterpoint, aberration, contradiction, mismatch, diversity, variance, disparity, deviation
dissimilarity (part of speech: noun)
nobility (part of speech: noun)
heroicalness, lordliness, augustness, queenliness, regality, majesty, greatness, knightliness, stateliness, courtliness, imperialness, nobility, sovereignty, grandness, princeliness, stature, dignity, aristocracy, kingliness
reputation (part of speech: noun)
- " How was I to understand that distinction? - "Oddsfish!", Robert Hugh Benson.
- I have thought of that, said I. I shall make a distinction in his favour. - "Punch, or the London Charivari, May 6, 1914", Various.
- Her position as queen was but an added distinction of her lord and master. - "The Woman's Bible Part I. Comments on Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. Part II. Comments on the Old and New Testaments from Joshua to Revelation.", Elizabeth Cady Stanton.