Definition of distribute :
1. To dispense; to administer; as, to distribute justice.
2. To divide among several or many; to deal out; to apportion; to allot.
3. To divide or separate, as into classes, orders, kinds, or species; to classify; to assort, as specimens, letters, etc.
4. To employ ( a term) in its whole extent; to take as universal in one premise.
5. To make distribution.
6. To separate ( type which has been used) and return it to the proper boxes in the cases.
7. To spread ( ink) evenly, as upon a roller or a table.
interpenetrate, circularise, beam, communicate, appoint, classify, lot, cope, administer, sow, carry on, reach, dispose, dot, break down, pass, circle, class, select, range, riddle, divvy, mobilize, divvy up, cover, lurch, stack, shell out, emit, conk, go on, consign, dispel, make out, grapple, collect, mete out, rank, flounder, consider, break, make do, serve, hand, advance, fan out, dole out, manage, measure out, handle, submit, set apart, bestow, give way, order, turn over, go around, issue, sprinkle, circularize, trade, sell, file, permeate, treat, transmit, conk out, get by, penetrate, overspread, grant, air, hand out, parcel out, spread, destine, dish, send, swag, administrate, progress, spread out, keel, die, deal out, categorize, broadcast, give away, accord, run out, dish out, open, black out, mobilise, careen, move, group, address, award, move on, contend, go, march on, unfold, pass around, endow, grade, look at, give off, imbue, give out, dust, zonk out, break up, appropriate, wide, leave, go bad, pass along, rate, impart, reel, stagger, relegate, pigeonhole, faint, care, pervade, portion out, propagate, prorate, pass out, strew, fail, circulate, conduct, take, value, dish up, pass on, serve up, keep, hold, swoon, plow, place, put across
allot (part of speech: verb)
scatter (part of speech: verb)
disperse (part of speech: verb)
- The oil helps to distribute the shellac evenly, but it must be removed when finishing the last coat, or the polish will not remain. - "A Course In Wood Turning", Archie S. Milton and Otto K. Wohlers.
- Bobby was too absorbed in his cars to think of anything else, so the little girls acted as messengers to distribute the gifts from the tree. - "Patty's Success", Carolyn Wells.
- We distribute the emphasis and participate in the action. - "Public Opinion", Walter Lippmann.