Definition of divan:
- A book; esp., a collection of poems written by one author; as, the divan of Hafiz.
- A chief officer of state.
- A coffee and smoking saloon.
- A cushioned seat, or a large, low sofa or couch; especially, one fixed to its place, and not movable.
- A saloon or hall where a council is held, in Oriental countries, the state reception room in places, and in the houses of the richer citizens. Cushions on the floor or on benches are ranged round the room.
- In Turkey and other Oriental countries: A council of state; a royal court. Also used by the poets for a grand deliberative council or assembly.
- "The Vertical City", Fannie Hurst.
- "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- "The Gloved Hand", Burton E. Stevenson.