Definition of diver :
1. Any bird of certain genera, as Urinator ( formerly Colymbus), or the allied genus Colymbus, or Podiceps, remarkable for their agility in diving.
2. Fig.: One who goes deeply into a subject, study, or business.
3. One who, or that which, dives.
speculator, underwater reconnaissance specialist, addle-head, piston, submarine diver, athlete, deep-sea diver, loon, skin diver, underwater diver, sky diver, plumber's helper, bungee jumper, frogman, addlehead, fancy diver, competitor, pearl diver, scuba diver, sponge diver, parachute jumper, plunger, swimmer, birdbrain, aquanaut, tanker
- A man employed on the breakwater who accompanied us told us that on one occasion the air- pipe burst, and that, although the diver immediately gave the signal, when he was hauled up he was nearly dead. - "A Yacht Voyage Round England", W.H.G. Kingston.
- Like an expert diver she went down head foremost into the deep, and, next moment, those who had so lately trod her deck saw nothing around them save the lowering sky and the angry waters of the Pacific Ocean. - "Sunk at Sea", R.M. Ballantyne.
- The two Brandons learned their parts rapidly, and Louis, who had the hardest task, improved so quickly, and caught the idea of the work so readily, that Brocket enthusiastically assured him that he was a natural- born diver. - "Cord and Creese", James de Mille.