Definition of dividend :
1. A number or quantity which is to be divided.
2. A sum of money to be divided and distributed; the share of a sum divided that falls to each individual; a distribute sum, share, or percentage; -- applied to the profits as appropriated among shareholders, and to assets as apportioned among creditors; as, the dividend of a bank, a railway corporation, or a bankrupt estate.
check, throw-in, lagniappe, study at premium, perquisite, gross margin, gravy, divvy, proceeds, rake-off, payout, yield, coupon, computation, distribution, gross profit, gratuity, extra, tip, return on investment, returns, bonus, profit margin, common multiple, operating profit, constant, Arabic numeral, arithmetic progression, base, perk, pay, common factor, remittance, payback, donative, gravy train, bottom line, cumshaw
mathematics (part of speech: noun)
geometry, algorithm, integral, differential calculus, divisor, reciprocal, numerator, multiplicand, root, algebra, trigonometry, arithmetic, denominator, radix, coefficient, square root, cube, logarithm, quadratics, antilogarithm, minuend, calculus, multiplier, exponent, subtrahend, fraction, increment, factor, quotient, formula, multiplicator, cube root, modulus, power, multiple, index
receipt (part of speech: noun)
portion (part of speech: noun)
portion, quota, allotment, ration, percentage, stock, lot, helping, budget, member, proportion, measure, part, partition, split, share, parcel, cut, zone, subdivision, interest, allowance, stake, bit, commission, chunk, slice, piece, segment, half, division, quantum, compartment, sector
- The only possible dividend can be peace. - "The War After the War", Isaac Frederick Marcosson.
- At the far side of the park he saw another kind of dividend- another group of marching men. - "The Last Shot", Frederick Palmer.
- A dividend had been declared, and it was larger than had been expected, and the ladies were as grateful as if he had furnished the means from his own pocket. - "A Country Doctor and Selected Stories and Sketches", Sarah Orne Jewett.