Definition of dominate:
- That which is prescribed or laid down as a guide for conduct or action; a governing direction for a specific purpose; an authoritative enactment; a regulation; a prescription; a precept; as, the rules of various societies; the rules governing a school; a rule of etiquette or propriety; the rules of cricket.
- To be dominant.
- To predominate over; to rule; to govern.
master, omit, run, overtop, drop, reign, eclipse, rein, defeat, domineer, stand out in a crowd, dictate, lie at the heart of something, signify, wear the pants, neglect, get noticed, confine, beat, boss, stick out, smash, miss, look out on, dictate to, loom, contain, endure, limit, get the hang, stand out, browbeat, leave out, require, emphasize, occult, tyrannize, boss, overpower, dwarf, subdue, leap out at, obtain, thrash, domineer, lead by the nose, look across, keep subjugated, stare someone in the face, jump out at, crush, regulate, have influence over, come before, find, overleap, leap off the page, overshadow, decree, over, curb, persist, prevail, cure, subject, predominate, knock out, pretermit, count, tower above, subjugate, look out over, rule the roost, pacify, push around, overlook, shadow, determine, tyrannize, get over, die hard, tower, command, tower above, preponderate, carry authority, matter, hulk, rule, restrict, walk all over, play first fiddle, loom large, bully, shine through, keep down, figure.
- command (part of speech: verb)
- dominate (part of speech: verb)
- succeed (part of speech: verb)
- control (part of speech: verb)
- "The Tragic Comedians, Complete", George Meredith Last Updated: March 7, 2009.
- "Half Portions", Edna Ferber.
- "On the Firing Line in Education", Adoniram Judson Ladd.