Definition of dragoon:
- A variety of pigeon.
- Formerly, a soldier who was taught and armed to serve either on horseback or on foot; now, a mounted soldier; a cavalry man.
- To compel submission by violent measures; to harass; to persecute.
- To harass or reduce to subjection by dragoons; to persecute by abandoning a place to the rage of soldiers.
- "Thomas Davis, Selections from his Prose and Poetry", Thomas Davis Commentator: T. W. Rolleston.
As I had ridden him on the 5th and wished him to rest, I gave him to my servant to hold by the bridle; and when he left him one moment to attend to his own, the horse was stolen in a flash by a dragoon, who instantly sold him to a dismounted captain, telling him he was a captured horse.- "The Project Gutenberg Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte", Bourrienne, Constant, and Stewarton.
- "I Saw Three Ships and Other Winter Tales", Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch.