Definition of drone:
- A humming or deep murmuring sound.
- A monotonous bass, as in a pastoral composition.
- One who lives on the labors of others; a lazy, idle fellow; a sluggard.
- That which gives out a grave or monotonous tone or dull sound; as: ( a) A drum. [ Obs.] Halliwell. ( b) The part of the bagpipe containing the two lowest tubes, which always sound the key note and the fifth.
- The male of bees, esp. of the honeybee. It gathers no honey. See Honeybee.
- To love in idleness; to do nothing.
- To utter or make a low, dull, monotonous, humming or murmuring sound.
prevue, parasite, biff, laggard, lagger, lick, do-little, monotone, sack, poking, garget, sluggard, drone on, bourdon, pigeon berry, carrier bag, scoke, punch, preview, clout, droning, house trailer, jab, drone pipe, industrious, thrust, jabbing, pilotless aircraft, paper bag, no-good, noise, vibration, slugabed, radio-controlled aircraft, dawdler, poke, slug, trailer, do-nothing, thrusting.
idler (part of speech: noun)
- clock watcher,
- lounge lizard,
- couch potato,
- rumble (part of speech: verb)
- "Operation Terror", William Fitzgerald Jenkins.
- "They of the High Trails", Hamlin Garland.
- "More Hunting Wasps", J. Henri Fabre.