Definition of dye :
1. Color produced by dyeing.
2. Material used for dyeing; a dyestuff.
3. Same as Die, a lot.
4. To stain; to color; to give a new and permanent color to, as by the application of dyestuffs.
color (part of speech: noun)
- The dye is obtained from the leaves, which are stripped two or three times in the season. - "Beric the Briton A Story of the Roman Invasion", G. A. Henty.
- My impression is, that if even a shadow of a suspicion flitted across him, he is a sort of man to double- dye himself in guilt by way of vengeance in anticipation of an imagined offence. - "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- Would you believe it, says the General, placing the tumbler over his nose to keep off a fly, his devotion is such that his hair is turning gray and will probably dye! - "The Orpheus C. Kerr Papers. Series 1", Robert H. Newell.