Definition of earthquake:
- A shaking, trembling, or concussion of the earth, due to subterranean causes, often accompanied by a rumbling noise. The wave of shock sometimes traverses half a hemisphere, destroying cities and many thousand lives; -- called also earthdin, earthquave, and earthshock.
- Like, or characteristic of, an earthquake; loud; starling.
earthquake shock, tremor, quake, aftershock an earthquake registering one, repetition, shake, tertiary tremor, fault, volcanic quake, points on the Richter scale secondary tremor, wiggler, earth tremor, shock, etc, seism, trembler, slip, tremor, two, move, tremblor, microseism, shake, temblor, seismic upheaval, tremblor.
- "?Crumps?, The Plain Story of a Canadian Who Went", Louis Keene.
- "Best Russian Short Stories", Various.
- "Old Jack", W.H.G. Kingston.