Definition of east :
1. Designating, or situated in, that part of a church which contains the choir or chancel; as, the east front of a cathedral.
3. Formerly, the part of the United States east of the Alleghany Mountains, esp. the Eastern, or New England, States; now, commonly, the whole region east of the Mississippi River, esp. that which is north of Maryland and the Ohio River; -- usually with the definite article; as, the commerce of the East is not independent of the agriculture of the West.
4. The point in the heavens where the sun is seen to rise at the equinox, or the corresponding point on the earth.
5. To move toward the east; to veer from the north or south toward the east; to orientate.
6. Toward the rising sun; or toward the point where the sun rises when in the equinoctial; as, the east gate; the east border; the east side; the east wind is a wind that blows from the east.
colonia, commune, airspace, einsteinium, corridor, eastern United States, orient, compass, area, county, atomic number 99, the Arctic, gentle, the Celtic fringe, gusty, gale-force, easterly, biting, vitamin E, eastern, E, cardinal point, eastbound, bearing, commonwealth, Cape Cod, easternmost, Co., the Cotton Belt, Central America, following, breadbasket, eastmost, Asia-Pacific, biome, climate, eastern hemisphere, eastward, the Antarctic, the Caribbean, Australasia, tocopherol, the Bible Belt, belt, canton, the Beaufort scale, Atlantic Rim, district, force, cutting, ACT, eastside, country, the Corn Belt, the borderland, due east, Costa, westward