Definition of edge :
1. Any sharp terminating border; a margin; a brink; extreme verge; as, the edge of a table, a precipice.
2. Sharpness; readiness of fitness to cut; keenness; intenseness of desire.
3. The border or part adjacent to the line of division; the beginning or early part; as, in the edge of evening.
4. The thin cutting side of the blade of an instrument; as, the edge of an ax, knife, sword, or scythe. Hence, figuratively, that which cuts as an edge does, or wounds deeply, etc.
5. To furnish with a fringe or border; as, to edge a dress; to edge a garden with box.
6. To furnish with an edge as a tool or weapon; to sharpen.
7. To make sharp or keen, figuratively; to incite; to exasperate; to goad; to urge or egg on.
8. To move by little and little or cautiously, as by pressing forward edgewise; as, edging their chairs forwards.
9. To move sideways; to move gradually; as, edge along this way.
10. To sail close to the wind.
11. To shape or dress the edge of, as with a tool.
process, quay, threshold, frame, knife, hem, vantage, groin, bite, exhibit, acuteness, demonstrate, better, upper hand, split, bank, frill, marge, razor, frame in, touch, leaping, adjoin, bend, spring, crook, environs, flange, run into, incisiveness, seam, edging, drop, excited, surround, flounce, superiority, outskirt, asperity, hook, circumference, shore, leap, strand, head start, butt, surface, over, saltation, frontier, center, dike, suburb, environ, march, inch, jump, dock, raciness, delimitation, advantage, butt against, knock against, contact, parade, term, crust, limb, distinctness, sting, mole, mete, skirt, pungency, crest, peak, bounce, inside track, wharf, selvage, bunt, beach, corner, blade, borderline, portal, irritable, sharp, lip, jar against, acuity, tense, meet, butt on, list, bulge, moulding, uptight, ledge, turn, molding, handicap, bump into, boundary line, welt, trimming, abut, mouth
limit (part of speech: verb)
edge (part of speech: verb)
curb, sharpness, periphery, frontier limit, brim, precipice, outline, fence, rimming, peripheral, bound, tip, ring, trace, extreme, ringing, margin, coast, side, contour, verge, marginal, coastal, perimeter
limiting (part of speech: adjective)
sharpen (part of speech: verb)
sharpness (part of speech: noun)
- The cutting edge at A, Fig. - "Modern Machine-Shop Practice, Volumes I and II", Joshua Rose.
- It's the edge of a knife that won't cut through. - "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- Another step or two and they stood on the forest's edge. - "The Firing Line", Robert W. Chambers.