Definition of effect :
1. Consequence intended; purpose; meaning; general intent; - with to.
2. Execution; performance; realization; operation; as, the law goes into effect in May.
3. Goods; movables; personal estate; - sometimes used to embrace real as well as personal property; as, the people escaped from the town with their effects.
4. Impression left on the mind; sensation produced.
5. In general: That which is produced by an agent or cause; the event which follows immediately from an antecedent, called the cause; result; consequence; outcome; fruit; as, the effect of luxury.
6. Manifestation; expression; sign.
7. Power to produce results; efficiency; force; importance; account; as, to speak with effect.
8. Reality; actual meaning; fact, as distinguished from mere appearance.
9. The purport; the sum and substance.
10. To bring to pass; to execute; to enforce; to achieve; to accomplish.
11. To produce, as a cause or agent; to cause to be.
work, inwardness, nitty-gritty, action, found, core group, execution, feeling, belief, moment, belonging, effectuate, substance, egress, consummation, corollary, precipitate, end product, nub, solution, issuing, assemble, military issue, sum, ensnare, tack together, way out, final result, put in, affect, military force, centre, doing, answer, impact, ramification, exploit, put, government issue, depression, power, establish, proceeding, erect, efficiency, nucleus, gear up, operation, marrow, effectiveness, piece, motion, chattel, force out, publication, actualization, feat, incumbrance, put up, materialization, frame, rig, owned, opinion, set, encumbrance, put together, outlet, topic, import, tack, payoff, personnel, perfume, effectualness, force play, burden, stamp, mental picture, impression, entrap, stuff, raise, proceeds, fix, resolution, subject, heart and soul, military group, number, arrange, gist, instal, exertion, solvent, be, personal property, rear, lay out, imprint, harvest, accomplishment, movable, forcefulness, emergence, printing, loading, load, military unit, center, efficaciousness, effectuality, progeny, sequent, being, violence, lares and penates, picture, launch, strength, return, prepare, efficacy, pitch, activate, movement, meat, thing, deed, transaction, issuance, conclusion, order, core, resultant, kernel, realization, magnetic core, potency, yield, notion, onus, achievement, ready, termination, pith, resultant role, good, possession, matter, property, case, install, exit, performance, essence, influence, takings, set up, heart, personal effects, take
apply (part of speech: verb)
effect (part of speech: noun)
sequel (part of speech: noun)
cause (part of speech: verb)