Definition of effective :
1. Having the power to produce an effect or effects; producing a decided or decisive effect; efficient; serviceable; operative; as, an effective force, remedy, speech; the effective men in a regiment.
2. One who is capable of active service.
3. Specie or coin, as distinguished from paper currency; - a term used in many parts of Europe.
4. That which produces a given effect; a cause.
5. The serviceable soldiers in a country; an army or any military body, collectively; as, France's effective.
compelling, producing the expected result, legal, striking, capable, forcible, operative, in force, competent, telling, forceful, rough-and-ready, active, adequate, dynamic, yielding, trenchant, hard-hitting, be, vigorous, operational, sound, dynamical, actual, existent, efficacious, thrive, cogent, valid, in effect, impelling, producing the desired result, good, sufficient
causative (part of speech: adjective)
authoritative (part of speech: adjective)
effective (part of speech: adjective)
expedient (part of speech: adjective)
utilizable (part of speech: adjective)
effectual, usable, applied, functional, fitting, reusable, beneficial, appropriate, practical, all-purpose, multipurpose, handy, instrumental, applicable, versatile, utilitarian, practicable, utilizable, helpful, available, at hand, serviceable, employable
- He taught me an effective delivery of my sentences. - "The Adventures of Harry Richmond, Complete", George Meredith Last Updated: March 7, 2009.
- This way may be effective. - "An Interpretation of Friends Worship", N. Jean Toomer.
- We may not be able to do enough to be effective. - "Abraham Lincoln", John Drinkwater.