Definition of egoism:
- Excessive love and thought of self; the habit of regarding one's self as the center of every interest; selfishness; - opposed to altruism.
- The doctrine of certain extreme adherents or disciples of Descartes and Johann Gottlieb Fichte, which finds all the elements of knowledge in the ego and the relations which it implies or provides for.
egocentrism, bigheadedness, self, egotism, self-esteem, self-involvement, self-conceit, self-interest, self-seeking, self-absorption, self-love, self-concern, amour-propre, self-importance, opportunism, selfishness, self-centeredness, bighead, expedience, vainglory, ego trip, swelled head, vainness, egomania, self-confidence, self-assertion, self-consciousness, ego.
- pride (part of speech: noun)
- vanity (part of speech: noun)
- "Prophets of Dissent Essays on Maeterlinck, Strindberg, Nietzsche and Tolstoy", Otto Heller.
- "The Sea-Hawk", Raphael Sabatini.
I think the safest way- excuse my egoism, madam- but if you do me the honour of consulting me, I would beg that it may be addressed to Madame von Beling, my grandmother; she, very certainly, will not lose a moment in putting it into the proper hands.- "The Prussian Terror", Alexandre Dumas.