Definition of election:
- Discriminating choice; discernment.
- Divine choice; predestination of individuals as objects of mercy and salvation; - one of the five points of Calvinism.
- Power of choosing; free will; liberty to choose or act.
- The act of choosing a person to fill an office, or to membership in a society, as by ballot, uplifted hands, or viva voce; as, the election of a president or a mayor.
- The act of choosing; choice; selection.
- The choice, made by a party, of two alternatives, by taking one of which, the chooser is excluded from the other.
- Those who are elected.
campaign, disenfranchise, choosing, elect, beauty contest, ticket, aye, abstention, picking, block vote, chad, ballot box, advance poll, ballot, referendum, plebiscite, casting vote, absentee ballot, voting, vote, adoption, druthers, suffrage, liberty, selecting, resource, poll, by-election, franchise, absolute majority, absentee vote, direct elections, way, electioneering.
- "Lady-John-Russell", MacCarthy, Desmond.
- "Space Viking", Henry Beam Piper.
- "History of American Socialisms", John Humphrey Noyes.