Definition of elevate :
1. Elevated; raised aloft.
2. To bring from a lower place to a higher; to lift up; to raise; as, to elevate a weight, a flagstaff, etc.
3. To exalt; to ennoble; to dignify; as, to elevate the mind or character.
4. To intoxicate in a slight degree; to render tipsy.
5. To lessen; to detract from; to disparage.
6. To raise from a depressed state; to animate; to cheer; as, to elevate the spirits.
7. To raise to a higher pitch, or to a greater degree of loudness; - said of sounds; as, to elevate the voice.
8. To raise to a higher station; to promote; as, to elevate to an office, or to a high social position.
filch, bone up, provoke, airlift, come up, arise, plagiarise, promote, elate, invoke, foment, rig out, advertize, fancy up, wind, elicit, get ahead, animate, encourage, fig out, further, prink, stir, countermand, ennoble, bring forward, cite, mention, tog up, uprear, apotheosize, trick up, foster, evoke, face-lift, get along, tilt, set ahead, plagiarize, produce, tog out, respect, dress up, inspire, forward, snarf, pass on, annul, revoke, overturn, call down, overdress, kick upstairs, deck up, aid, mug up, excite, march on, move up, grind away, rescind, parent, signalize, pull ahead, push on, enhance, enkindle, prove, advertise, reboot, kindle, distinguish, get up, exhilarate, pick up, leaven, purloin, turn out, jump, machinate, stand up, repeal, happy, take up, assist, bone, glorify, push, deck out, swot up, organize, cabbage, supercharge, advert, help, urge forward, fig up, progress, make headway, arouse, pinch, uprise, sneak, come on, gain ground, go up, devise, refer, drum, attire, set up, cram, praise, vacate, bring up, heave, fire, inspirit, go on, buoy, put forward, organise, dignify, nurture, rustle, work up, uphold, conjure up, honor, conjure, extol, prefer, swot, boot, get on, prepare, aggrandize, come along, recruit, levy, farm, resurrect, gain, throw out, abstract, win, put up, call forth, shape up, hook, gussy up, name, urge on, nobble, trick out, swipe, reverse, move on, pilfer, flush
ascend (part of speech: verb)
heighten (part of speech: verb)
increase (part of speech: verb)
enlarge, increment, raise, magnify, upgrade, burgeon, augment, heighten, multiply, accrue, reinforce, extend, increase, expand, advance, inflate, boost, maximize, grow, broaden, fatten, widen, amplify, add, lengthen
elevate (part of speech: verb)
- While he thus talked to me, trying to invest our humble calling with what might elevate it in my eyes, I struggled often with myself whether I should not tell him the story of my life,- in what rank I had lived, to what hopes of fortune I had been reared. - "That Boy Of Norcott's", Charles James Lever.
- Many a time have I seen that trial can elevate the soul. - "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- And it shall be considered the perpetual duty of the Preceptive and Parentive Circles to enlighten the public mind relative to the requisites of true matrimony, and to elevate the marriage institution within this Republic to the highest possible plane of purity and happiness. - "History of American Socialisms", John Humphrey Noyes.